Billie Brown

Introduction

Hello There!

This portfolio is intended for future employers within the field of psychology.

My name is Billie Brown. I am a 20-year-old student who hopes to impact the lives of each and every person that I meet. I am currently enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts program at the University of the Fraser Valley where I am majoring in Psychology.

I have always been interested in human behaviour and have taken the role of a counsellor since I was very young. I have helped people find their dreams and aspirations as well as guide those who have suffered from mental illness to reach out and get the help they need. I have witnessed recovery from those who once had substance-use disorders and have participated in fulfilling the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities. I am passionate about psychology and even more dedicated to changing people’s lives.

My Career Goal:

I hope to become a Guidance Counsellor. Adolescents and high-school life are high-stress transitional times. I believe that this is when people need the most guidance and tend to feel lost. I have witnessed loved one’s drop out due to lack of care, feelings of isolation, poor guidance and the consistent feeling of being alone. If I can take what I have learned and helped a student, a teenager, a person, it will all be worth it. In the future, I hope to one day open up my own practice, within a wellness centre to promote utmost therapeutic care and allow those to live their most fulfilling lives.

Passions and Hobbies:

I have been a dancer for eleven years now and this passion has become a sort of a master status in terms of how much it has impacted my life. I danced at the same studio for 8 years, then, at my high school for 3 and then, did drop-ins everywhere I could until I was able to create my own dance club at UFV. It was offered to students as a safe place to express themselves as well as act as an escape from everyday stressors. Dance has helped me my whole life, and I was so grateful to watch it benefit other students through my own creation.

In my free time, which is very limited due to a busy schedule, I enjoy spending time outdoors while connecting with nature. I write poetry as an expressive way to write about how I am feeling, or to document the important events that are happening in my life. My friends and family also mean the world to me, so I try and see them as often as I can. Overall, all of these components allow me to be mindful, happy and is my own type of therapy.

Well, that’s just the start of who I am! Keep reading to see some job-related experiences, skills, talents, and personal stories.