Billie Brown

Transferable Skills, Talents & Experiences

Passion & Reslilience

Throughout my lifetime, I have witnessed my fair share of hardships and fortunately, I have always been granted a happy ending. From seeing divorced parents find love again, to helping a parent conquer her struggles with mental illness. Through everything life has thrown at me, I have been able to fight back, and in the meantime help those who needed it too. Sometimes I think that helping others has helped myself more than words could have ever expressed.

Empathy 

The passion to help others is what gave me the opportunity to work with the Community Living Society. I worked with individuals that had intellectual disabilities. We would spend time within the community together, working on personal goals, professional goals and everything in between. I made such close connections with each individual and it was the most rewarding job in the world. Unfortunately, COVID-19 gave me no other option than to resign but, I hope when this is all over, I can go back and help enhance their lives again!

Leadership 

This job was very hard to adjust to as just a second-year student. It was a big jump from taking what you learn into the classroom and applying it to the “real-world,” and I am grateful for every day I spent there. I am sure I couldn’t have done it without my leadership qualities. Just out of high school, I received the Mission Leadership Award granted by Randy Hawes. This was a moment where I felt truly proud of myself since I love what I do and never expected any recognition for it. When I received the award, he described an elegant woman who was dedicated, independent and passionate. That one day, “she will impact many lives, and do it with a smile.” As I heard those words, I had never felt a feeling quite like it and knew that I had to make a difference in this world someday.

Communication Skills & Friendly Personality

I have been waitressing at a small cafe and a high-end restaurant for most of my working life. There is no better way to meet people, I swear. Every day I hear various stories on what these people are doing, who they are visiting, how they are feeling and so much more. I have had complete strangers open up to me and say that they really aren’t doing okay, in hopes for some reassurance. On the other hand, people have told me about how great their day is going and how they just got engaged 5 minutes ago. Being a waitress is so much more than just serving food. Being a waitress is being a companion, a friend, a supporter and so much more.

All of these experiences and skill-sets is what makes me who I am and created a passion for what I want to do.